Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:59:34 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Dirk GOUDERS <hank@musashi.et.bocholt.fh-ge.de>
Cc:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SURVEY: Sound cards that work under FreeBSD

In message <199907230710.JAA04436@musashi.et.bocholt.fh-ge.de> Dirk GOUDERS writes:
: My sound card is a SBPCI128 by Creative Labs.

Nice card...  I have one too.  Plays mp3 well :-).  Also plays video
sound well and xgalaga works with sound!...

NOTE: The SBPC64 doesn't work without an external patch...  Be
careful.

: I only used the card with FreeBSD 3.2

I've used mine on -CURRENT for about 9 months or so, but part of that
time I had to get the driver from somewhere else.

: The only line I had to add to my kernel config file was:
:
:         device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
:
: (This causes a message "pcm0 not found" to appear at boot time but
:  just ignoring it seems to be o.k. - allthough I would prefer
:  not to see it, at all.)

device pcm0

does the trick for me.  I think that will work in 3.2.

-current fixes the problem with psm0 not found.

: I had to build the audio device snd1:
:
:         # cd /dev
:         # sh MKDEV snd1

When you upgrade to 4.0 or -current, you'll have to undo that stuff...

: and to use the mixer to set the volume to another value than 0.
: I use the following script /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mixer.sh at boot time:
:
:         #!/bin/sh
:         /usr/sbin/mixer vol 60:60 pcm 60:60 cd 60:60

Cool.  I've always brought up xmixer to do this....

Warner