Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 10:05:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie (David Malone)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad Quantum Atlas?

David Malone wrote...
> We've just been sent a replacement for a 4GB atlas which died a few weeks
> ago. The replacement seems flakey too, and seems to go south after a few
> mminutes of use. Powercycling the drive seems to wake it up.
>
> I wonder if the drive is actually bad, or just the firmware. It shows:
>
> (ahc0:0:0): "Quantum XP34300 L912" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
>
> on bootup. We have a similar, but working atlas with version L915.

From the snippet above, I assume you're using the old SCSI layer.  The new
(CAM) SCSI layer can generally handle the sorts of problems you're seeing,
although it will be painful at times.  (mainly because it takes a minute
for things to timeout before we hit the drive with a BDR)

Older firmware revisions of the Atlas I and II are known to be bogus.  I
would suggest you upgrade that disk to the L915 firmware.  If the firmware
is your problem, the problem should go away after an upgrade to L915.  If
the problem doesn't go away, there's likely some other problem with the
drive.

Quantum has firmware images and a loader on their ftp site.  You will need
a bootable DOS floppy with ASPI drivers for your SCSI controller.  I would
recommend backing up your disk before you do the upgrade.  (I've upgraded a
number of Atlas II's, though, and have never lost data.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com