Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:01:14 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Dmitrij Tejblum <tejblum@arc.hq.cti.ru>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/include histedit.h src/lib/libedit Makefile editline.3 el.c el.h

Think COMPAT libs... since we provide them, we need them to work
properly.

I have /usr/lib/libfoo.so.2 and /usr/lib/compat/libfoo.so.1.
Now old and new binaries are happy.

With a version major number bump, and binary run on old system, you get a
very clear error message:  you don't have to right library.  The fix is
deterministic.

Now a new binary, using new features, and no major version bump:  symbols
unresolvable.  Now how do you determine what is the right library to get?

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)