Date:      Wed, 01 Sep 1999 16:15:13 +0200
From:      Eric MASSON <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
To:        "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound card irq with pcm driver

Hi,

> The specs for a Dell Latitude CP (see below) say that IRQ 5 is
> ``Reserved; generated by the audio controller''
If you can't change it in the bios, irq 5 is THE irq to use to make your
soundcard work

> 1) Should I attach the pcm driver to IRQ 5
Definitely yes, in the case you're in (your soundcard works :) ).

> 2) When the specs say that IRQ 7 and 10 can be used for an audio
>    controller, are they referring to a separate piece of audio
I think it means you can change the irq for the builtin soundcard to
match 7 or 10 unless these two ones are used by another peripheral. (in
these case, change pcm irq too :) )
Look in the bios settings to see peripheral/irq mapping.

Hope it helps

Eric MASSON

--
Any opinions expressed above  | Murphy's Law Corollary :
are my own, not Kisoft's      | Murphy was an optimist.