Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 21:12:20 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Jayson Nordwick <nordwick@scam.xcf.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: message queues for I/O (usenix paper)

On Sep 09, 1999 at 06:49:46PM -0700, Jayson Nordwick wrote:
> >Yes.  I don't particularly like some of the things in the paper,
> >although it does have several good concepts.  I have an implementation
> >that does exactly this, and have a line on two other implementations
> >that do the same thing (but in a different fashion).  Unfortunately,
> >all of these are somewhat problem-specific and are not a general
> >solution.
> >
> >I've spent some time working on a generic implementation that draws
> >its ideas from several places.  I hope to be in a position where I
> >can work on this almost full time within a month.
> >--
> >Jonathan
> >

> Would you like to share your implementation and the line you have on
> two other implementation that do the same thing (but in a different
> fassion)?

There wouldn't be much point, since it was written for a specific
problem and doesn't handle some general cases that could come up.

Search the -hackers archive for "poll() and scalability", around July,
for the archived discussions, and my original interface.

> I (and others I know) would be very interested to know what you have come
> across and what these other ideas are.

I'll present a possible interface (and implementation) when I'm
satisfied it'll work well for most consumers.  This isn't going
to be for a month or so, I have PhD qualifying exams and some
other things to clear off my plate first.
--
Jonathan