Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 20:31:08 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Good News! FreeBSD monopoly! (Was: Good News! Commercial Bac

crikey, chat has been been busy lately :-)

1/ put me down for a "brett shut up: vote" (however i would never support
banning him and I know you (members of the list) don't either. This is a
message to brett.)

2/ brett, i saw a few posts back that you would like to see a policy of
the usage of the FreeBSD (only place i'm gonna bother with the caps)
logo/trademark. Well, i really like the stuff you write (except for on
chat) so let's see a policy. write one and put it up. don't badger jordan
and others, WRITE something. you obviously have the time to do so, let's
see it happen. don't give me an excuse, do it.

3/ i'm afraid i must agree with some of the other posters in that you seem
to say things in a way that antogonises people and pisses of those who
spend a lot of unpaid time furthering the cause. i see this under two
heading, 1: preaching to the converted and 2: browbeating those who are
already working under maximum load.

4/ (quoted from previous message, sorry if it's out of context)
brett>>No, it hasn't. Only a few vociferous people have accepted your
brett>>invitation to condemn me publicly, out of the hundreds who are
brett>>"tuned in."
a group of local politicians looking for ways to justify themselves called
the non-attenders at a recent meeting the "silent majority" and then
claimed to speak for them.
there are hundreds of people tuned in, i am one of those (i don't speak
for them). i usually choose
not to respond as i lack the communication skills to fence with you,
 especially when you (as i see it) change tangents when
challenged. (actually just especially as i lack the skills) i also seek
not to add fuel to the fire. i wonder how much damage your ranting does to
the likes of jordan and other committers who are working as hard as they
can and then are criticised by those whom they see as adding nothing. (i
apologise to the other committers whose work i use daily and can't even
remember their names)
don't count the "silent majority" either for you or against you, they are
_silent_. if they were passionately for you they'd speak, likewise if they
were passionately agains you.

5/ vociferous: clamerous, loud and insistent in speech
i'm sorry brett but you fit the mold as much as any of the respondents.

6/ you are stating your points with as little emotion as possible but in a
way that evokes the most emotion possible (actually an idea (totally off
the wall) has just come to me. could it be that you are actually not a
real person but instead a ghost writer seeking to make the core and
committer team look to be under fire and acting responsibly and under
duress?)
it cannot possible be that you do not realise the impact of your
statements. the first lessons in email ettiquette demand one not respond
instantly and emotionally (even if dispassionately)  as it is too easy to
carelessly offend

7/ may we _please_ have the url's for some of your articles.

Andrew Perry