Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:46:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum on the desktop (was: Brett or no Brett?)

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> FWIW, I think I'd agree with Jay up to a point.  Most desktop users
> don't even do backups; they're not interested in reliability.

Only because they are completely and utterly ignorant of the fact that
their data will "go away" at some point in time because of hardware
failures or other problems.  Either that, or they accept the fact that
their data does "go away" at times as normal and think there is
nothing they can do about it (the MS world we live in).  I deal with
hundreds of computer-illiterate people every day who every once in a
while say "Why can't I get my Word document off this floppy?!?!" when
the ONE bad spot that grows on the disk decides to show up right in
the middle of the most important document.  They either expect it to
"just work" 100% of the time out of sheer ignorance, or like playing
russian roulette with their data.

Just my personal experience.  :-)

> They do one thing at a time; they're not interested in
> performance.  They only have one disk; they can't do striping.
>
> Having said this, of course, there's nothing to stop people from
> using Vinum on the desktop.  The real issue is that desktop
> machines are less demanding.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."