Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:24:47 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dig @a.root-servers.net.. status: NXDOMAIN ??

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 11:50:19AM -0500, Brian Scott spewed forth:
> I'd always relied on seeing "Status: HOLD" in the whois
> of a domain if it was disabled due to payment, however
> they're not doing that anymore =(

They stopped doing that.   The problem was that domain grabbers
were checking millions of times a day for 'on hold' and continually
requesting those addresses.  The instant they became available they
were grabbed.   So that's why there is no HOLD status shown
anymore.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion   bv @ wjv.com