Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 16:48:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        ben@scientia.demon.co.uk, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filtering port 25 (was Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to   talk to dialups)

> > > No matter how you look at it, it's technically possible to (1) get
> > > rid of the storage argument and (2) get rid of the modem transit
> > > argument.
> >
> > Technically perhaps, but we have to implement this stuff in the time
> > frame of yesterday.  Theory is great, we have a real job to get done
> > today, not next year.
>
> To paraphrase you, "An i.Mail license is pennies, when you are
> talking about this kind of scale".

We are not a wholesale dial up provider, so you have missed in
your attempt to use an analogy.  i.Mail would not be pennies for
us, but probably for any wholesale dial up provider.

> For the DDNS support, may I suggest Microsft IAS does dynamic DNS
> update in response to RADIUS for use of dynamic IPs  for things
> like ETRN.

You can take your Microsh*t recomendations and put them where the
sun don't shine.  And, yes, I know I am an officer of a corporation
who is a  Microsoft DSP and shouldn't say such things, but right now
I am not acting as that officer, but as an officer of another corporation.

I also don't happen to care about providing an un-asked for by client
service by doing DDNS.

> You just have to know where to buy; I hate recommending a Microsoft
> product for this, but since there's no integration on FreeBSD or
> other OSs at this time, it's the only game in town.

First, I do know where to by _legit copies_, after all I do where the
hat of an officer of a Microsoft DSP on occasion.

I won't put a production network at the mercy of MicroSh*t.  It is not
a workable solution.  It requires NT, NT can not be made reliable and
secure.  It is not a technical reality in the form of a working solution.

Please don't ever recommend to me again that I should look at a Microsoft
product, especially on a FreeBSD mailling list!

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net