Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 17:35:40 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named 4.9.3 docs included in 3.2-R...

On Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 10:18:36PM -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> why was 3.2-R released w/ the 4.9.3 documentation in
> /usr/share/doc/smm/10.named?  since 3.0-R has named 8.x been in the
> named for people...

I think it's just a historical carry over.  I think a README in that
directory with something like

    This text has been retained for historical purposes, but it refers to
    a version of named that is no longer shipped with FreeBSD.  For up to
    date information about named, please consult:

Would do the trick.  Or perhaps a /usr/share/doc/historical/ section
instead?

If you can provide me with a list of resources for "..." I'll add that
in.

A different "distribution" of Linux is really a different operating system.
They just refuse to call it that because it's bad press.  But that's what
the shoe fits.
    -- Tom Christiansen, <199910211639.KAA18701@jhereg.perl.com>