Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 13:42:44 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make install trick

At 3:21 PM -0700 1999/10/7, David O'Brien wrote:

>               HP and SGI workstations have a single huge /.  Why do you
> need /usr seperate from / when you aren't diskless (or /usr'less)?

	If you've done your job right, it can be mounted read-only.  This
makes it harder for someone to break into the machine and obtain root
access, because now they have to be root to unmount /usr and remount
it read-write, so that they can put their trojan script on there that
they're hoping you'll execute.

	I've admin'ed my share of HP and SGI machines in the past, and
I've never used the standard partition configuration, just like I
don't use the standard partition configuration for Solaris.  IMO,
none of them are right, and they're wrong for the wrong reasons.

	You're right that this is a somewhat religious issue, however, if
you're going to run a huge root filesystem, then you are more likely
to get what you deserve if /usr or one of the other directories on
the root filesystem get trashed or fill up.

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.