Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 17:57:57 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        KATO Takenori <kato@ganko.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, dfr@nlsystems.com, msmith@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/conf majors.alpha src/sys/i386/conf majors.i386

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, KATO Takenori wrote:

> Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>
> > Not unless the pc98 and alpha developers do the synchronization
> > to the i386 version.  I suspect the alpha at least reflects
> > some netbsd compat issues ?
>
> PC98 uses same major number as IBM-PC and majors is OK to merge.  But
> at least fd driver has additional minor numbers.  So, MAKEDEV is not
> shareable.

THe pc98 MAKEDEV doesn't seem to be in the tree.

My MAKEDEV has different minor numbers for fd, so it is not shareable
either :-).  The standard minor numbering for fd was broken a long
time ago, in FreeBSD-1, to fit all the special minors and the ft minors
in an 8-bit minor number.  I fixed this locally when I implemented
slices in 1995, but the time never seemed right to commit the change.
Standard minor numbering gives 128 "type" bits for special minors.
This should be more than enough for floppies.  I think there should be
only a few special minors, with application-programmable geometries,
so that you can handle any disk that the hardware can handle without
filling /dev with floppy devices.

Bruce