Date:      18 Oct 1999 04:20:10 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [keramida@ceid.upatras.gr: Re: printers (was Re: keyboards)]

"Brian O'Connor. (CF583173) HO 2nd Floor" <boconno6@ford.com> writes:

> >> One of the big stumbling blocks is the lack of an abstract printing
> >> model for applications.
>
> er.. I thought thats what postscript was.

It is the closest thing we have to such a thing, yes.  However...

> Of course, having some standards like, say, PCL or PostScript is fine, but
> it does not give us the possibility to use those 'extra' features each
> printer might have.
>
> I thought the postscript ppd model did this, it works well for Irix.
>
> ie copy <new printer>.ppd from windows driver  or from vendor(ie hp) or from
> adobe to the appropriate place, rehash the printer info, and add the queue.
> The printer manager now shows the extra features(duplex, hi res etc) when you.
> select that queue, and they are available via "lp -o <option>"

I am probably quite mistaken in overlooking .ppd here, but how does all this
fit into the Ghostscript thing I have installed until now?  I am not sure if
it does work, but if it works somehow I will be glad to be in the absolutely
wrong part of this thread :)

> >It seems that it's an evil printing world out there...
>
> Hopefully Linux will help here.

A toast to it... with all my wishes to it for making the world more open,
since I have only recently switched over to FreeBSD and anything Linux does to
make the world of computing more 'open' will certainly find me in the
supporting side of the matter.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"That field hath eyen, and the wood hath ears." [Geoffrey Chaucer, 1328-1400]