Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 23:23:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, Stephen.Byan@quantum.com, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: journaling UFS and LFS

> >The license issue is a Whistle thing.  Talk to Julian and get him
> >to pound on Doug Brent, preferrably before December 31st of this year.
>
>    How is the softupdates license a Whistle thing? It seems to me that it is
> a Kirk McKusick and Sun MicroSystems thing.

Whistle requested the license so that Whistle could maintain an
edge over the competition in the same product space.  The duration
that it is under the license in the source tree was negotiated
between Whistle and Kirk for that reason.

The purpose of the Whistle financial support for the implementation
was technically to get rid of the UPS in the InterJet.  I was one
of the main evnagelists of this approach within Whistle, having
worked on an FFS with Soft Updates implementation at the company
I worked at prior to coming to work for Whistle.

As I said, talk to Julian.  I believe we (Whistle) can (and always
intended to) release the code under UCB license after recouping R&D
costs, and there there was in fact a contractually specified date
for this happening.  I don't currently have access to the contract.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.