Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 1999 14:45:14 +1300
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>
To:        "Eric W. Bates" <ericx@vineyard.net>
Cc:        Nathan Mahon <vaevictus@socket.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP, win95 clients and more fun.

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 06:31:46PM -0500, Eric W. Bates wrote:
> You cannot use dhcp to assign addresses in a network space if there is
> no interface to that network.

Yes, you can. You use a BOOTP relay agent.

RFC2131:

      o "BOOTP relay agent"

      A BOOTP relay agent or relay agent is an Internet host or router
      that passes DHCP messages between DHCP clients and DHCP servers.
      DHCP is designed to use the same relay agent behavior as specified
      in the BOOTP protocol specification.

> [snip]
> You will also need a mechanism to
> distinguish each DHCP REQUEST sufficiently so that your DHCP server
> can decide which of the multiple networks the NIC touches is the
> appropriate one from which to assign an IP (the packet is being sent
> to FFFF.FFFF.FFFF.FFFF with little more than its own MAC number to
> identify itself.

RFC2131:

   The format of DHCP messages is based on the format of BOOTP messages,
   to capture the BOOTP relay agent behavior described as part of the
   BOOTP specification [7, 21] and to allow interoperability of existing
   BOOTP clients with DHCP servers.  Using BOOTP relay agents eliminates
   the necessity of having a DHCP server on each physical network
   segment.

See RFC951 for how BOOTP handles this.

> [interoperability issue between win95 and isc-dhcp]

That's interesting. I hadn't heard of that.

Joe

--
Ua lawa küpono ka hakahaka pä o këia pä malule