Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:27:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

Mike Smith once stated:

=> Both problems are related to the majority of PC BIOSes' brain damage,
=> but somehow  other operating systems  manage to work around  the said
=> damage.

=Actually,  these  "other" operating  systems  avoid  the issue  by  not
=offering the  functionality in question  at all.

As  I  mentioned earlier,  NT  installed  onto  a  SCSI Jazz  drive  and
continues to boot from it -- with  two IDE disks in the way. Even though
it appears  as drive  J: in  the diskmanager. I  don't remember  it EVER
having a problem counting the true  memory amount, either, may be others
do.

=You remember incorrectly. The 64MB problem was licked when I managed to
=steamroller Sean and  Jonathan's VM86 work into the system  in order to
=use the BIOS.

Quite possible. Or may be it  was the combination of several factors? My
point was, that I was told  with a very similarly convincing tones, that
it will never happen. The person also  tried to explain it by saying the
FreeBSD usership  is different from that  of other OSes, so  there is no
need to bother.

=Likewise, I can in all modesty claim credit for fixing the very problem
=that you're whining about in the 4.x branch as well.

Mike, while I'm sincerely thankful to  you and others, I must note, that
I'm not "whining". What's  more, I ask you to take  that comment back. I
know my way around things like this  and worse. When I hit a problem and
have time, I investigate it, often ending up  with a PR. If I don't -- I
work around it.

=I'm not  sure just why  it is that  the easier it  is to work  around a
=problem,  the  more  people  whine  about  it.

No. The right question to ask is, if it is so damn easy, WHY CAN'T IT BE
AUTOMATED? Perhaps  you are lucky to  only converse with the  happy Unix
users,  and simply  can't imagine  the rest  of us,  trying to  convince
people to  TRY. And if it  does not work  from the first time,  they are
unlikely to try again.

And don't try to deny it -- the growing usership IS what gives your work
and efforts sense and what gives  you (and me) the satisfaction. So stop
looking down  at those who point  out what's missing. The  questions- is
flooded  with the  "can't  mount root"  (not my  observation).  It is  a
genuine feedback, YOU need, filtered and summarized for you...

	-mi