Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 20:03:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ACLs for FreeBSD (was: Re: ps on 4.0-current)

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 10:21:17 -0500 (EST), Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org> said:
>
> > The painful thing is getting ACLs into the underlying storage mechanism,
> > not writing kernel ACL support -- I've finished the framework in the
> > kernel, libraries, some userland utilities, and even default evaluation
> > routines for file systems to call.  I just don't want to screw around with
> > FFS storage and soft updates :-).
>
> I think it would be a Great Thing if this were incorporated into
> -current before the feature freeze (which is coming up RSN).  Even if
> it's not implemented in any file systems yet, it would be good to get
> the API fixed and out in public so that people can write their
> software to it.  It might also be the motivating factor to actually
> getting a filesystem hacker to work on that side of things.

Ok -- I've put online the second pass code at

  http://www.watson.org/fbsd-hardening/posix1e/acl/

It includes vnode interface patches, syscall interface patches + syscall
implementations, some kernel support code, a userland library, and
incomplete userland utilities (getfacl, but no setfacl at this time) and
some userland test code.  It's under a 2-clause BSD-style license, and
currently based on 3.3-RELEASE, although with some simple modifications,
should run under 4.0 just fine.  I don't currently have a 4.0 build
machine around (in DC not in Massachusetts), so haven't tried.

Because this is pretty preliminary, I'm open to questions/comments/etc.
This is after a bit of thought however, so I'd welcome questions about
design choices, but should have fairly legitimate answers for them :-).
The primary goal was to maintain POSIX.1e compliance while also keeping in
mind decent performance and a couple of BSD-isms (possible to have fd's on
directories).

  Robert N M Watson