Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 1999 21:37:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI DMA lockups in 3.2 (3.3 maybe?)

: - Dennis is a principal in a company which manufactures communications
:   peripherals and writes driver software for them.  It's not
:   unreasonable to expect him to have some sort of idea, or access to an
:   in-house idea, about how to go about diagnosing a problem like this.
:   It's also not unreasonable to expect that, being involved in a
:   development environment, that he would have some experience in
:   reporting problems in a fashion that would allow action to be taken to
:   resolve them.
:
: - We have been dealing with Dennis for many years.  He has persisted in
:   his defective communications style despite many well-meaning attempts
:   to encourage him to improve.  At this point in time, he has worn out
:   his welcome with many of us and if anything it's a credit to our
:   stamina that we still even listen to him anymore.
:
: - Irregardless of your initial presumptions concerning Dennis' ability,
:   the fact remains that he failed to follow through on the encouragement
:   to provide more information, and thus (again) we were unable to
:   actually provide him with any more assistance.  Now he comes back a
:   few weeks later to complain again, still not providing any more
:   information.  Which side is falling down in this relationship?

    Mike, if your idea of encouragement is an attitude of superiority, it's
    no wonder you aren't getting results.  Has it ever occured to you that
    perhaps the fault for having to deal with this situation 'for years'
    might be partially attributed to the way your attitude colors your
    postings?  It is perfectly possible that when this all began the person
    was in the wrong, but at this point the manner in which you respond to
    his bug reports only perpetuates the problem.

    I answer a lot of newbie questions on these lists, and if you read them
    you will note that I try to be helpful - if I'm going to answer someone's
    question or bug report, I don't give one line answers, I don't make
    assumptions as to a person's experience or abilities, and I don't put
    people who ask questions or post simple (or simplistic) bug reports down.
    I give suggestions only and I usually back up those suggestions with
    examples.

    If those people take the time to even ask a question or post a bug report
    in this list that appears to be reasonable, whether simplistic or not,
    then they deserve the best answer that can be given to them - one that
    does not automatically make assumptions as to abilities, intelligence, or
    character.  That is the goal you (and a number of others) need to strive
    for.

    I fully realize that some developers have become frustated in the last few
    years -- I have especially noticed that with Jordan (sorry Jordan!) in
    the coloring of their answers to others.  But putting someone down who has
    made a reasonable posting to the list based on past presence only
    perpetuates the problem (and here I am talking about other posters and
    not taking issue with myself, I've made plenty of bad postings but they
    tend to not be 'sticky' unless there's an ongoing problem.  Hmm.  Only one
    person is on my list that fits that bill at the moment if you don't count
    my general distate for core's mis-execution of their polcies and
    continuing 'extra' restrictions on my commit privs for no good reason).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>