Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 08:15:39 +1000
From:      George Michaelson <ggm@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Mike Muuss <mike@ARL.MIL>
Cc:        jin@george.lbl.gov, atm@freebsd.org, phk@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FORE PCA200 working

  I tried fw=4.2.0 on my PCA-200E with a Fore switch, and that didn't
  work for me at all.  It wasn't until I backed off to fw=3.0.1 that
  I got solid UNI.

I tried a 4.2.x or 4.y.z release (y > 2) which came off the Fore CD and
it didn't work *at all* and backed off to the 4.2.0 rev after reading
FreeBSD documents.

  I'll be happy to send you the 3.0.1 that I'm using so you can compare
  behavior.  Let me know if you want a lump of microcode in your mailbox. :-)

My campus network admin would strongly prefer I not do this :-) I crashed
the ATM-on-Microwave bearer between two sites in the middle of a demo of
Internet to the Royal Flying Docters by sending one ICMP packet and I'm
not in good favour right now :-) -Plus the Centillion pages recommend a
rev after 4.2.1 as being viable for their interop issues: I can't see myself
selling a downgrade in place of an upgrade.

If its not too silly a question to ask:

	WHY is the fore NIC and the hfa/ driver code so picky about which
	rev of microcode is used?

cheers
	-George

--
George Michaelson         |  DSTC Pty Ltd
Email: ggm@dstc.edu.au    |  University of Qld 4072