Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 1997 00:10:44 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        TG@TechSoft.de (Thilo Gelenk)
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD2.2.2 decompressing under DOS - HOW??

As Thilo Gelenk wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I have bought the FreeBSD 2.2.2 CDs to get the source
> code. It is contained on the CD under /src, but I need to
> run "sh install.sh", what seems to be possible only under
> BSD (so I have first to install it).

Not really.  The files are split gnuzipped tar archives.  There's
a GNU zip (gzip) available on DOS to unzip them.  There's more than
one tar available for DOS.  And, you can use

	copy /b src.aa+src.ab+src.ac ... +src.XX src.tgz

to assemble the pieces into a .tar.gz (in DOS: .tgz) file in the
first place.  DOS doesn't have true pipes, so you can't do this on
the fly but must devote the disk space.

If your machine is reasonably fast, it's probably faster to install
FreeBSD though. :-)  Installing a bindist only gets away with probably
not more than 5 minutes.

--
cheers, J"org