Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:26:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Elton Chiu <echiu@majendie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall fix causes other problems

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Elton Chiu wrote:

> I made a binary copy of sysinstall according to the instructions in the
> 2.2.2 Errata by using the 2.2.2-RELENG bootup and fixit floppies. My system
> was installed from the 2.2.2-RELEASE CD-ROM. When I install packages from
> the CD-ROM, it will complain the CD-ROM is of a different version, which is
> easily fixed by going to the install options and change the source to
> 2.2.2-RELEASE.

OK, check.

> When I tried to install the XFree86 distribution and nothing happened.
> Then I realized sysinstall was expecting XFree86 3.3 whereas the CD-ROM
> contained XFree86 3.2. How could I go about installing the XFree86
> distribution from the CD-ROM.

You'll probably have to extract it manually, which isn't so bad.  Once you
get back up, mount the CD and use 'tar xzf /cdrom/XF8632/X32xxxx.tgz' to
extract them.  Replace 'xzf' with 'tzf' before extracting to figure out
where the files will land.

> BTW, is the CTM a lot more efficient comparing to the CVSup. I have a ~40K
> (USR x2 56K) modem connection, which one should I use?

CVSup is going to work better for you.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo