Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 13:09:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      wellsian <wellsian@caffeine.com>
To:        Kostas Papadopoulos <kpapad@hyper.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System stops 10min after starting a "make world"

Thanks for letting us know the result. It's always good to get closure on
a thread. Now, pardon for a moment...

<preaching>

Unless the vendor explicitly says otherwise, ALWAYS reset your BIOS'
configuration "to factory" after upgrading/flashing the BIOS. This should
be followed by a power-off/power-on cycle of at least several seconds,
preferably by disconnection of the power-cord followed by pushing the
power-button to discharge stored power. Sure, you might get away without
doing these things, or just some, totally dependent on the vendor, board,
coder, and old/new versions, but you're asking, no, pleading for trouble.

The most common reason people don't like to reset is that they're afraid
of losing all those settings they don't understand. This is faulty
reasoning because most of the settings will go away anyway, or won't be
valid when the new BIOS code responds with some error condition and either
uses defaults internally or just gets confused. You may continue to see
some of your old settings when viewing settings, but the BIOS may very
well just be responding with its own "error-out" response every time.
Without intimate knowledge of the board and code it's not possible to
predict what's happening. You can guess this means it's unwise to rely on.
Before flashing, write everything down or use that cool, new, digital
camera you bought, and reset! There are good reasons why the README that
came with the BIOS image says to do it.

</preaching>

All the above, including blanket generalizations, is intended for safe
computing and written with the typical "unless you know better"
disclaimer. :)

Dave