Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:55:49 +0000
From:      George Cox <gjvc@extremis.demon.co.uk>
To:        space@dsl-only.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your program is looking really shitty

At 01:31 PM 14/01/00 -0800, somebody wrote:

>From the start of thing I wanted to try a Unix platform out, so I tried

That's good!

>linux different flavors, all crap to me I try Fbsd out "hay this looks
>pretty nice, put to gether with a little more thought,"

That's was one of my first impressions too.

>Well the father I get into playing with it the more this shit sucks.

That's the first time I've heard of a priest installing a BSD UNIX.
Wouldn't he uhh, like, have 'issues' with the daemons and everything?

>I buy the cdrom v.3.3 of fbsd, all go well, compiling the kernel works
>unlike linux, so I was very happy to say the  least.  no I try to up
>grade, fine that turn out to be a crock of shit, not going into details.

Ah.  Right.  Gotcha!  You can't write to this mailing list and "not go into
details".  That's rather the point of the whole thing.  Without knowing the
details of your problem, we can't help you.  Fortunately, in this case, the
problem became apparent.

>this makes me made, well think that it must be me,

You never know.

>I format install the basic install, then cvsup upgrade again that go ok,

Excellent.  You appear to know how to drive cvsup -- this means you are an
intelligent being who wishes to stay up-to-date with the latest bugfixes
and what-have-you.  You've downloaded the cvsup 16.1 binaries (knowing that
this latest release has a bugfix which can speed things up), and you've
read the example files in /usr/share/examples/cvsup

>hay I just upgraded the same fucking version how nice.

Hmmm,  You did not mention performing the 'make world' routine, where one
does

    cd /usr/src && make world

and then either says 'woooo, look at it go', or does something else for an
hour or two, depending on how fast your computer is.  Don't forget to make
and install a new kernel as well.  If you don't do these two steps, all
you've done is updated the source code, but haven't compiled and installed
new binaries -- hence your system will indeed be running the version as
before cvsupping, which as you say, is nice.

>well fuck this, download and install 3.3 since I have no access to the

Mmmmkay,  why did you bother downloading version 3.3 when you've got it on
CD?  Did you accidently put the 3.3 CDs in the microwave when making a
snack?  I've done that a few times in the past.  But only with dodgy 80s
punk CDs.  And only then when I was drunk.

>site for 3.4 or all fucken links are broken, so I them try to install some
>packages from the net, error out the ass downloads the file then error
>depends failed yada yada,

We feel your pain.  It is the pain caused by laughing too much.

>I really fill for the money I spent I got Shit and a lot of it, the files
>the book that come with the os say to use this file on the cd and the
>isn't even their,

What?  You're not making sense.  What files?  The CD is no longer theirs --
you purchased it from the vendor.  That means it's yours.  Unless you stole
it.  But you didn't say you _did_ steal it, so that's OK I guess.  Maybe I
should call the police _just_in_case_.

>that was ok with me because I could fine other was around the issue.

A that sentence should what be?

>but this crape of the MAIN freebsd.org site doesn't have the file to
>download on 1 of the 6 sites in the mirrored use does, Hmmm At least NWx
>and Ms$ don't have shit links and fails advertisement as you do.  I have
>seen more failures with this os then with NT or Novell,

OK.  Enough of this retardation.  Formulate your question clearly and
concisely and we'll do what we can to help.  As well as calling the
authorities.

gjvc

--
[gjvc]