Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 23:02:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        "Kave p.Ram" <hotkaveh@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a question about sunrpc service

what you're looking at is the portmapper service for RPC (remote procedure
calls) requests.

this is for NFS and related services.

if you're not running NFS, or you are not needing any RPC services, put=20

portmap_enable=3D"NO"

in your /etc/rc.conf.

generally, it's a good idea to not have that on to begin with.

-- jan

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Kave p.Ram wrote:

> Hi !
>=20
> when I run `netstat -a=B4 I can see 2 rows like :
> =03
> tcp        0      0 *.sunrpc        *.*              LISTEN
> udp        0      0 *.sunrpc        *.*
>=20
> among other services.
> but I can't see no such a service in /etc/inet.conf , however
> a look at /etc/services shows me :
>=20
> sunrpc          111/tcp    rpcbind      #SUN Remote Procedure Call
> sunrpc          111/udp    rpcbind      #SUN Remote Procedure Call
>=20
> now I wonder if it's necessery to have this service running on port 111=
=20
> which uses both udp & tcp protocols or not ?
>=20
> this machine is just a workstation connectod to a LAN by vr0 and doesn't=
=20
> serve any other machines .
>=20
> Thanx for any suggestion :-)
> /kave
>=20

  email: jan[at]caustic.org   web: http://www.caustic.org/~jan=20
   "knowledge is power. power corrupts. study hard, be evil."