Date:      Wed, 09 Feb 2000 14:10:55 -0500
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ICMP_BANDLIM

>> Hey all...
>>
>> With all the attacks going on on yahoo, ebay, etrade, etc, it reminded of a
>> question I had a while back but forgot to ask...
>>
>> What exactly does the "ICMP_BANDLIM" kernel option do to provide
>> 'protection'?  Not much in the LINT file on it, and I can't search, so I
>> thought I'd ask :)
>
>It restricts the amount of responces you will send in responce to bad
>packets.
>
>If someone is sending you 100mbit of grabage down your pipe, you don't
>want to overload the system and connection by forcing it to respond
>to each and every packet.

So, in other words, it's pretty much a choke you put on your reponse (ex:
answer only 1 in every 1,000 ping requests you get from a particular IP ?).
 If so, are there dynamic settings to it? Or is just a single kernel option
with no settings?  And I'm also assuming that ICMP_BANDLIM is also a
stopper for ALL network traffic (overload), not just particular items?

Thanks again... I appreciate the time you took for an explanation =)
--John