Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 06:41:55 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> I don't get it.
> Really, cvsweb at the least gives you MORE 'recent' history than you
> could get locally, since you always have up to an hour (or more) lag
> between a change and your access via CVSup.  What detail does a local CVS
> repo supply that the above don't?

1) My local repository matches the code that I am compiling.
2) I don't have to be connected to the net to view it.

> > I have one copy, you have one copy, he has one copy ... Replicated around
> > the world.

> By the same reasoning, we shouldn't have separate copies of binaries on
> everyone's system, replicated around the world.  I venture that most
> people don't ever use a lot of the binaries on their systems.  When was
> the last time you used ctm?  Or dtmfdecode?  enigma?  etc.
I don't know about you, but I do use ctm (I was the ctm-meister for a year or so
until it got too big to handle on my limited resources)
As for the others, I routinely "strip" things from my installations. I'm
certainly less concerned about having the current version of some component.
The real waste is that I could care less about its history. If my needs change,
I'll copy from a convenient repo.

> > The problem is "packaging". You have the choice "all or nothing". I would
> > prefer to be able to keep (and eventually use transparently) a combination of
> > up-to-date history on HD and ancient history on archive CD's or the net.
>
> Oh, so you want a version of CVS that only keeps 'recent' revisions
> around; sorta an auto-expiration of revisions once they reach a certain
> age.  Good luck writing it, or finding one; at the least, it goes against
> the whole purpose of a revision control system.

I disagree. There is nothing that dictates that the entire history of a file
has to be stored in a single file. A cvs file consists of two parts. The first
is a directory that allows conversion of a tag into the rcs revision target.
The second is an rcs archive that allows the generation of the desired contents.

Just as it is possible to store a subtree on a different physical device, there
is no technical reason which would prevent the "directory" part of the cvs file
to refer the request to an alternate source.

 --
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@Dataplex.NET