Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 16:46:57 -0800
From:      "John Purser" <johnmpurser@home.com>
To:        "'Greg Lehey'" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Make: don't know how to make buildworld

On Tuesday, 29 February 2000 at 18:29:26 -0800, John Purser wrote:

> On  Tuesday, February 29, 2000 4:45 PM, Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> Thanks, for getting back to me so quickly and for being right!
>>>
>>> I just kicked something off and that's a fact!
>>>
>>> I changed directories to /home/ncvs/src ($CVSUP/src) and then
>>> entered make buildworld.  Sure enough it started running.  I had
>>> been running it from /usr/src like the book said to.  Is this a
>>> needed correction or am I doing something wrong?
>>
>> No, it looks like you're doing something wrong.  Normally /home/ncvs
>> is the CVS repository, not the source tree.  But you can't build a
>> world from /home/ncvs/src, so it looks like you have something wrong
>> there.  Is this your repository?  It should look like this:
>>
>>    Attic                   crypto                  lkm
>>    COPYRIGHT,v             eBones                  release
>>    Makefile,v              etc                     sbin
>>    Makefile.inc1,v         games                   secure
>>    Makefile.upgrade,v      gnu                     share
>>    README,v                include                 sys
>>    TODO-2.1                kerberos5               tools
>>    UPDATING,v              kerberosIV              usr.bin
>>    bin                     lib                     usr.sbin
>>    contrib                 libexec
>>
>> Note the file names ending in ,v: these are RCS (CVS) files.  The
>> others are directories containing ,v files.
>>
>> I'd guess that you checked out into the wrong directory.  I hope you
>> don't have both in there; that would be a real mess.  You should have
>> done your checkout from /usr, as shown on page 375 of the Third
>> Edition.
>
> Sorry it took me so long to reply.  I have the files and most of the
> directories you listed in the directory /home/ncvs/src.  I don't
> have the directories Attic, eBones, Kerberos5, or lkm.

It sounds like you haven't been looking carefully.  With the files
above, you can't build a world.  You need at least Makefile and
Makefile.inc1, which aren't there in the list above.  The fact that
Attic is missing suggests that you don't have a CVS tree there.  The
other ones belong to a different repository, so that's possible that
they're not there.

> When I moved to the directory /home/ncvs/src and typed "make
> buildworld" it kicked off something that kept my machine busy for
> the next half hour or so!

It would be nice to know what.  Typically a buildworld takes longer
than that.

> I thought the environmental variable CVSROOT was supposed to be set
> to the default prefix from the cvsupfile.  Do you think that's where
> I went wrong?

No.

> As a way to undo this I'm thinking about deleteing the directory
> /home/ncvs/src, resetting $CVSROOT (to /usr ?), redoing cvs co src, and
> running make buildworld again.
>
> Does that sound like a good plan?

No.  I'd suggest you first try to find out what you have done.
/home/ncvs is the canonical place for the repository, but we haven't
yet established whether you have one or not.  What does your cvsupfile
look like?

Greg

Okay let's try this again.  In the directory /home/ncvs/src i have the files
or directories:

                            crypto
    COPYRIGHT,v                                     release
    Makefile,v              etc                     sbin
    Makefile.inc1,v         games                   secure
    Makefile.upgrade,v      gnu                     share
    README,v                include                 sys
    TODO-2.1                                        tools
    UPDATING,v              kerberosIV              usr.bin
    bin                     lib                     usr.sbin
    contrib                 libexec
including your ",v" notation.  As you can see there is a makefile.  I was in
this directory and typed "make buildworld" and the machine took off.  It's a
Pentium III 550 with 128 megs of ram and a scsi disk.  The process took
between a half hour and hour, I wasn't there when it stopped.

The first time I ran cvsup my cvsupfile had these lines:
*default host=cvsup1.freebsd.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/home/ncvs
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
*default tag=RELENG_3_4_0_RELEASE
src-all
cvs-crypto
ports-all
doc-all

Someone on the questions mailing list told me that the code base for a
release never changed so there was little point in tracking it.  I changed
the tag line to:
*default tag=RELENG_3
Someone else said that "ports-all" wouldn't work with RELENG_3 so I
commented out that line and uncommented all the ports except the foreign
languages and ran cvsup again.

Then I set the environmental variable CVSROOT to /home/ncvs and ran:
cvs co src
I tried running:
cvs co -r RELENG_3 world
but never got it to work.

After this step I ran
cd /usr/src
cvs update -P -d

then

make buildworld

That's when I got the error message in the header.  Several people pointed
out I needed to change directories so I moved to /home/ncvs/src and tried
"make buildworld" again.  That time it ran.

Typing it out it sounds like it took about a half hour plus computer run
time.  Actually this happened over the course of nearly three days of
reading the manual, error messages, questions to the mailing list, and
trying out suggestions.  I don't mind starting over, I just want to know how
to do it correctly.  When I started this I figured that "When I knew what I
was doing..." (like that's ever going to happen!) I would format the disk
and re-install.  Now I'm thinking that disk might turn to dust before I
believe that I know what I'm doing!

Thanks for the help Greg.  And I see your note about formatting e-mail and I
do have MS Outlook set to wrap sentences at 76 spaces and send in plain text
but that's about all I can do.  Several years ago I got involved in a back
and forth from one of the FreeBSD mailing lists (Newbies maybe?) and we
found that setting up Outlook to precede each line of a response with a
character like > was worse than not.  Let me know if you have any
suggestions.  Eventually I'll move it all over to the FreeBSD box but for
now I think this is the best I can do.

John Purser