Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 20:50:30 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Lewis <m1ewis@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp -- terminal mode problem

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 08:24:10AM -0800, Michael Lewis wrote:

> >Ah! you didn't say that before in out earlier discussion(s)!. If your
> >modem is internal and you've jumpered it for "COM2" have you disabled
> >the *real* "COM2", i.e. the second serial port (via the BIOS) on your
> >mobo? If not then it is probably that which is being found.
> >

> Ha! I disabled the 2nd serial port in BIOS and the modem is now there!  term
> AT returns OK.  I searched dmesg output for any mention of "ppp" or "modem"
> and found nothing.  stty output still says that cuaa1 has speed 9600 baud
> and I can't see anything that indicates that this is a modem device.  But
> term works so I guess the modem's there.

Don't worry too much about what stty(1) says, IIRC the BIOS sets 9600
as the default baudrate.

The

    set device /dev/cuaa1
    set speed 115200

lines in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf set it up. Try ``show physical'' at the ppp
prompt, e.g.:

ppp ON parish> show physical
Name: deflink
 State:           closed
 Device:          N/A
 Link Type:       interactive
 Connect Count:   1
 Queued Packets:  0
 Phone Number:    N/A

Defaults:
 Device List:     "/dev/cuaa2"
 Characteristics: 115200bps, cs8, no parity, CTS/RTS on
 CD check delay:  device specific

Connect time: 0:09:28 - down at Mon Mar  6 20:41:37 2000
936083 octets in, 36136 octets out
  overall     1711 bytes/sec
  average        0 bytes/sec (over the last 5 secs)
  peak        9608 bytes/sec on Mon Mar  6 20:34:21 2000
ppp ON parish>

> Thanks again for your help.

You're welcome.