Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 18:18:06 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Waite, Michael" <Michael.Waite@compaq.com>, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Digital KZPCA setup, help required

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 05:39:37PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> > Just curious....maybe I am crazy but to get ARC running on a DS20 you have
> > to do a very complicated set of manovers like this:
> >

> > "arc"
> >
> > Am i wrong?
> >
> > I guess I am confused as to why anyone has a hard time getting arc to run..
>
> Sorry, I guess my explanation before was a little scatty.
>
> Getting ARC to run on the DS20 was easy.  But when I ran the ra200rcu
> program, I just got a blank screen.  At that point in time, the KZPCA was
> on the second hose; I don't know if that's a problem or not.  It also
> didn't have any disks attached.  Moving it to the first hose and hanging
> disks off it works, modulo my complaints about the terrible cabling
> layout in at least this instance of the DS20 box.
>
> My real ordeal was trying to get ARC running on the PC164 that I am using
> as a scratch box; that's still a zero-sum failure.  8(
>
> Just offhand, can you tell me which Mylex controllers the other ra200
> family controllers are based on?  If I can't arrange some loaners from
> you, I'd like to at least try swapping firmware around to see if I can't
> make sure that we're supporting them properly.

DAC960<something>

IIRC the KZPAC is the Ultra capable one. KZPSC are earlier Fast SCSI
based ones. The KZPSCs have hardware revs that are not high enough to run
the latest firmware, I think they can only run 2.xx firmware where Mylex
last had 4.xx  The 4.xx has a different programming interface.

<I hope I remembered this right>

> Also, if you can deal with the horror, I'd love to know if you can get
> the programming details for the EISA controller(s); with the AS2100 here
> and the very easy access to these controllers on eg. eBay, I get several
> enquiries a month from people that want to use them, but Mylex appear to
> have discarded the documentation that I need to make this work. 8(

Mylex flatly refused to give this docs out when I tried..

--
Wilko Bulte 			Arnhem, The Netherlands
http://www.tcja.nl  		The FreeBSD Project: http://www.freebsd.org