Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 09:52:23 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@atlantic.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, J Michael Graham <jmgraham@midsouth.rr.com>
Subject:   Re: ftp install problems

Prior to the pending 4.0 release, the install floppies do not do a very
good job with PCMCIA Ethernet cards (and I'm not convinced the 4.0 release
will be much better, but that's a different story).

I've had the most success dealing with it as follows:

1) Go to http://www.jp.FreeBSD.org/PAO/ and get the latest PAO install
   floppy set for 3.4-RELEASE
2) Do your install from a "mainstream" FreeBSD site (i.e., not the PAO site).
   It will do your install, but complain that it couldn't find the PAO stuff.
   It will offer to let you reconfigure your install options and retry the
   missing distributions.
3) Change the install source to be the PAO site and let it try again.
   It should find the PAO distribution and install it on your system.
4) If you do additional post-install configuration, you will probably need
   to again change the install options to use a mainstream FreeBSD site.

You can do all of this from the "Novice" install option, which I recommend
over the "Custom" install.  "Novice" attempts to make you do things in the
right order, which prevents some subtle problems later.

-- Bob