Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:11:23 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        John Starkey <jstarkey@polaris.umuc.edu>, Jim Smart <jim@tsw.com.au>, FreeBSD <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Changing shells.

* Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk> [000315 03:54] wrote:
> John Starkey wrote:
>
> >> There is a copy of the file /etc/passwd stored in memory.
> >> This is what is used for authenification of logins. It is
> >> read at boot time.
> >
> > Isn't that kinda inefficient??
>
> Indeed it would be, if it were true. I'm pretty certain FreeBSD does no
> such thing. (If it were only read at boot time, you'd have to reboot to
> add a user! I know this isn't the case.)

Whoa, I sense a trail of mis-information being generated, I tracked
down where it started here:

-------

Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 01:07:59 -0700
From:      John Starkey <jstarkey@polaris.umuc.edu>
To:        Jim Smart <jim@tsw.com.au>, FreeBSD <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>

Thanks for the reply.

> There is a copy of the file /etc/passwd stored in memory.
> This is what is used for authenification of logins. It is
> read at boot time.

Isn't that kinda inefficient?? Why waste RAM on something that isn't used that
often?? (On a personal system).

>  $ man vipw    for more information.

Yea I tried that, man wasn't installed. I did a minimal just to make sure it
would work. I'm doing a custom now.

Thanks,

John

-------

This is just not true, the system stores the password information
in /etc/spwd.db which is a database file, you need to use the system
utilities to have it your edits to the password system automatically
rebuild the database files.

vipw, chsh and pw are amongst the utlities to properly update the
system database files.  You should not be editing /etc/passwd nor
/etc/master.passwd directly.