Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 16:43:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "dangerously dedicated"

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

>2. If the last byte of the sector != 0xaa55 go to the next drive in
>   the drive list and back step 1, if this was the last drive on the
>   list print an error and hang.

On i386 machines this is usually something lame like:
NO ROM BASIC
SYSTEM HALTED
despite the fact that no machine has included a ROM BASIC since the last
of the IBM PS/2 386s came out.  However most of the BIOSes until *very*
recently still contained code that would check for a ROM BASIC after
searching the entire drive list and try booting from that.  Now if only
we could convince them to put that back in except have it look for a
forth interpreter in ROM.