Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 18:56:00 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        HANY AHMED <zhany_2000@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question

HANY AHMED wrote:

> please, send me the answer of the following question
>
> what are the main advantages of unix/bsd over nt ?

BSD is based on very old code, so let's say it's had quite a bit of
testing.

BSD is open source, so you don't have to wait for a single company to
fix bugs. That's not to say you fix your own bugs; expecting every BSD
user to know about kernel internals is silly (but if you do, you can fix
them). Just a few days ago I reported a bug, and it was fixed and I was
able to use the fixed version within 12 hours. How often do you expect
to get that sort of response time from Microsoft for an NT bug? How
often would you even get a *response* within 12 hours, let alone a fix??

These are just two advantages I thought of off the top of my head. I'll
leave someone with facts and figures to show you the reliablility and
performance benefits BSD (or any other Unix) has over NT. You'll find
more information at <http://www.unix-vs-nt.org/>; too (I think that's the
right URL).

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D