Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 21:39:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        "Matt M." <matt@boda.virtualave.net>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lynx build issue

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 09:01:12PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > > I highly suggest using a different console browser, such as w3m.
> >
> > Out of curiosity, why?  Has w3m been cleared of buffer overflows?
>
> It was just a suggestion, in case the person who's complaining about our
> forced breaking of the lynx port asked what else there was.
>
> I have no idea whether w3m has been cleared buffer overflows or not.

While w3m is a remarkable advance in ascii browsers, Will, it's not ready
for prime-time, so telling someone to go to use it isn't really very
nice.  The way it does frames is amazing, but it doesn't handle any entry
at all, it allows the cursor to go to areas of the screen that *ought* to
be off limits, and other things.

The idea is certainly there.  In concept, it's *far* better than lynx, but
it's just not there yet.  You ought to try it just for curiosity's sake,
but you won't stay with it.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.