Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:28:56 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Bill Maniatty <maniattb@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, maniatty@cs.albany.edu
Subject:   Re: Default partitioning for FreeBSD 4.0 is BROKEN!

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:12:27 -0400, Bill Maniatty wrote:

> I posted a bug report about 1 1/2 weeks ago about FreeBSD's default
> partitioning being broken.  If a user wants to install ALL AVAILABLE
> (and I am installing far short of that) packages in an installation,
> the default configuration should support that (given sufficient disk
> space).

That doesn't make any sense to me.  There are numerous packages that
would trip all over each other if you installed everything.  Intelligent
selection of packages at install-time is a requirement, so I don't think
there's too much sense in worrying about this.

> However FreeBSD allocates too few inodes in the /var file system and
> the symlink creation phase of the install fails, and it happens late
> in the installation cycle (after say 8 hours or more of ftping).

In spite of what I said above, you may need lots of inodes in any given
filesystem for a number of reasons.  If so, you can use the Options menu
to fiddle with Newfs Args.  You have to be careful with this though,
adjusting the arguments for one newfs and then returning them to normal
for the rest. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.