Date:      Wed, 03 May 2000 09:11:04 -0400
From:      John Holland <johnholland@mindspring.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache won't start - RESOLVED

>Possibly you need to set the server name in httpd.conf.  Look in
>/var/log for apache_error.log and see if it says something about not
>being able to figure out your server name.  If it does, edit
>/usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf appropriately.  This error occurs
>when your hostname is not fully qualified (ie. no valid domain name).

It was something stupid.

I had already changed the host name in /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf.

/var/log/http-error.log reported gethostbyname() failed

After mucking about a bit, I noticed a spelling error in
/etc/resolv.conf.  The resolver was querying the wrong nameserver.  After
fixing that, apache started normally.

Thanks for the help everyone.  I just wish httpd had a debug or verbose
switch instead of relying so heavily on logs.