Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 23:35:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
To:        chip@chocobo.cx
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: classless in-addr.arpa

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Chip Marshall wrote:

> I've found AT&T at least like to use / instead of - in the rev name,
> so it end up looking like 128/26.254.181.205.IN-ADDR.ARPA instead.

RFC2317, which defines classless reverse delegation, uses forwardslash for
examples and then advises readers not to do so, which is a little
disingenuous and seems to be mostly for the purpose of annoying the RFC952
pedants with the "Aa-haha! It's NOT A HOSTNAME!" taunt rather than
actually using appropriate syntax.

Still, it's worth reading. I have seen interoperability tests confirm that
a slash is okay even for NT's DNS server & resolver.

Be warned that RFC2317, if misconfigured, can result in the customer
polluting external caching resolvers with incorrect NS records for your
octet-boundary zone. This is not a theoretical problem. I suggest always
checking a full zone transfer before allowing the final delegation.

--
Joshua Goodall <joshuag@interxion.com>
IP Systems Engineer - InterXion - www.interxion.com