Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 04:24:38 +0000
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 06:09:34PM -0700, Arun Sharma wrote:
> > Of course, there's an easy way for you to prove me wrong. Please point
> > out to me a GNU replacement of sendmail, perl, or bind. These are
> > (some of) large free software projects that *were* available for free use
> > in source form. Surely the GNU people must've rewritten them all to
> > release them under the GPL?
>
> I entered into the UNIX world in early 90s, so I don't know what happened
> at the early stages of the GNU project.
>
> But certainly, there have been many attempts of GNU-fication of
> existing code on the grounds that it was non-free. Gnome, GPG and Linux
> to name a few.

Well, yes, of course. The whole GNU project started because existing
code (UNIX) was non-free. Noone would argue with that. The point
I debated was that much of GNU code was created to counter code
which was *free*, *but* non-GNU. I explained why this doesn't apply
to things like fileutils, and to just about any old-time GNU code.

Now take your example: Gnome was started (apart from other reasons)
because the Qt license was decidedly non-free for commercial use.
I.e. it wasn't just non-GNU, it wouldn't qualify for inclusion into
FreeBSD as well. GPG was started because of similar potential problems
with pgp. Linux was started because there weren't any free UNIX
kernels for i386 architecture.

> Also, having GNU code around hasn't stopped duplication of work. Try
> counting the number of GPL'ed mail clients on http://freshmeat.net/

Well, what's so bad about that?

--
Anatoly Vorobey,