Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 23:24:36 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Daniel Robbins <drobbins@gentoo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VXA-1 tape drive not probed in 4.0-STABLE

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 23:06:05 -0600, Daniel Robbins wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm having a good amount of trouble getting my favorite OS to
> recognize my new Ecrix VXA-1 tape drive.  I'm running FreeBSD
> 4.0-STABLE (updated 1 day ago).  I'm fairly certain it's a FreeBSD
> issue rather than a hardware issue, since the tape drive, cabling,
> termination and SCSI ID and BIOS settings appear to be adequate for
> Windows NT 4.0.  The basic problem I'm having is that my VXA-1 is
> simply not being probed.  Period.  I've tried "hard-wiring" the
> settings in my kernel config, and many other things.  Here's
> additional info:
>=20
> Host Adapter: Buslogic BT-958 UW firmware 5.06J
> It has a narrow internal 50-pin connector, to which my Plextor CDR is
> attached.
> It also has a wide internal 68-pin connector, to which my Quantum
> Atlas II and my VXA-1 are connected.  *MY ATLAS II IS FOUND*, the
> VXA-1 is not.  They are on the same cable.  Interesting, no?

I would suggest re-checking your termination.  Make sure you don't have
termination enabled on your hard disk, and that you do have termination
enabled on the Ecrix drive.  Also, make sure low byte termination is not
enabled on the adapter.

> Here's more information.  My VXA-1 is at SCSI ID 5.  When I type:
>=20
> # camcontrol rescan 0:5:0
>=20
> I see the VXA-1 light flash.  So FreeBSD and the VXA-1 are able to
> talk, something is just breaking down somewhere.  And here's even more
> information -- output from a camcontrol debug session I had a few
> minutes ago (note -- at this point, I have removed my Atlas II drive
> to simplify my SCSI setup.  My VXA-1 is recognized by AutoSCSI BIOS on
> boot but *still* not by FreeBSD):

Was the drive recognized by the BusLogic BIOS when the Atlas II was on the
chain?

> Script started on Wed May 17 23:01:50 2000
> # camcontrol debug -Ic 0:5:0
> Debugging enabled for 0:5:0
> # camcontrol s=08 =08rescan 0:5:0
> Re-scan of 0:5:0 was successful
> # camcontrol devlist
> <PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-R820T 1.06>     at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass0,cd0)
> # argh!
> bash: argh!: command not found
> # camcontrol -=08 =08debug -Ic 0
> Debugging enabled for 0:-1:-1

Turning on debugging may help somewhat, but all of the output goes to the
console.  (It isn't printed out by camcontrol.)

Ken
--=20
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org