Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 10:07:01 +1000
From:      jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
To:        chip@chocobo.cx
Cc:        "D. W. Piper" <dwplists@loop.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interface alias accounting?

At 1:35 PM -0400 22/5/00, Chip Marshall wrote:
>On May 22, 2000, jesse reynolds sent me the following:
>>  On Fri, 19 May 2000, Chip Marshall wrote:
>>  > On May 19, 2000, D. W. Piper sent me the following:
>>  > > I'm afraid I'm still a bit confused though.  I thought I'd recently seen
>>  > > mention here of a relatively simple method that would allow netstat to
>>  > > show the specific packet counts for each IP address assigned to the
>>  > > interface, as opposed to showing the interface total for them all.
>>  >
>>  > I'm not sure if someone else already mentioned this, but you could
>>  > setup ipfw rules for each of the IP addresses you wanted to watch,
>>  > something along the lines of:
>>
>>  `netstat -i`
>>
>>  is probably what you're talking about, yes?
>
>No, that is precisely what I am not talking about. netstat -i will
>only show you the input/output packets/bytes/errors for the interface.
>I believe what the original poster was trying to do is see traffic per
>IP alias, which netstat -i does not do. (It does show you a line for
>each alias, but note how all the numbers are the same...)

Right you are. Whoopsie. I'll shut up then.

       Jesse Reynolds - Virtual Artists Pty Ltd - http://www.va.com.au

     Email: jesse (at) va.com.au            > Web Hosting
     Phone: +61 8 8223 2288                 > Streaming Media Services
         ?: http://jesse.va.com.au          > Telehousing / Colocation
       ICQ: 4766684                         > Internet Systems Consulting