Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 12:24:03 +0200
From:      Patrik Sundberg <ps@radiac.mine.nu>
To:        Clive Lin <clive@CirX.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Feature request

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 05:31:45PM +0800, Clive Lin wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I think you're considering something like ``upgrade'' :-)

yes - in a way, but that wasn't what I wrote, I talked about the problem of
new versions using bogus @pkgdep's in their CONTENTS-files. But my proposed
scheme with multilevel /var/db/pkg-entries could maybe fit into an upgrade
scheme aswell - needs to know when to move the +REQUIRED_BY entries and
other stuff too, upgrade is bigger than what I am talking about.

>     Actually, I usually do that manually, especially the gnome*.
>
>     To do this by hand is easy. Install the new one, move the +REQUIRED_BY
>     into it. Check cvsweb if there's any difference in PLIST. Then simply
>     rm -rf the old one. Finally, do a script like this is mostly OK:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> cd /var/db/pkg
> for i in */+CONTENTS; do
> {
>         sed -e 's,gtk-1.2.7,gtk-1.2.8,' $i > $i.t
>         mv $i.t $i
> }
> done
>

>     I don't know if these steps above is sufficient, or I'll try to
>     write a script to automate that.

sure you could do this by hand - but you shouldn't have to - and it doesn't
cover the case where you have several versions of the same package installed
simultaniously (some API change and an old app keeps you from deleting an
older version etc). this should be handeled by the pkg-system somehow.

--
Patrik Sundberg  -  email: ps@raditex.se || ps@radiac.mine.nu
---> telefon: 013-178 567  -  mobiltelefon: 070-760 22 40 <---