Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 06:18:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        "Jacob A. Hart" <c9710216@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au>, Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, FreeBSD-CURRENT <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Scheduler changes?

--0-1183712459-963137914=:33233

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> Hi,
> i understand that this means maybe a somwthat
> large change in the system, but what do you think
> if we have a lok at implementing the CPU scheduler using
> weights instead of strict priorities ?
> Do we have parts of the kernel which rely on priority
> to implement locking etc ?
>
> This would not be too different from what the EclipseBSD people
> did, and the code i recently committed to dummynet can be easily
> reused to this purpose, and it is efficient.
>
> With a little bit of guidance (I am not too familiar with that area
> of the code) i think we can do something good with little
> effort.

I've been thinking about this a lot.  As for the current scheduler, a
NICE_WEIGHT of 1.8 seems to work nicely; see the attached patch.  I
have been looking more into making things more like Eclipse.  I have to
say I'm very impressed with their work in implementing QoS, and we
would do well to update some of our ancient designs to a model that
resembles theirs.  I'm looking at their process and disk scheduler now,
after reading their network scheduling paper from the Usenix proceedings.
I'm very interested in finding a better algorithm than the current one,
yes :)

> 	cheers
> 	luigi

 green@FreeBSD.org                    `------------------------------'

--0-1183712459-963137914=:33233

SW5kZXg6IHN5cy9rZXJuL2tlcm5fc3luY2guYw0KPT09PT09PT09PT09PT09
PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09
PT09PT09PQ0KUkNTIGZpbGU6IC91c3IyL25jdnMvc3JjL3N5cy9rZXJuL2tl
cm5fc3luY2guYyx2DQpyZXRyaWV2aW5nIHJldmlzaW9uIDEuOTUNCmRpZmYg
LXUgLXIxLjk1IGtlcm5fc3luY2guYw0KLS0tIHN5cy9rZXJuL2tlcm5fc3lu
Y2guYwkyMDAwLzA3LzA0IDExOjI1OjIzCTEuOTUNCisrKyBzeXMva2Vybi9r
ZXJuX3N5bmNoLmMJMjAwMC8wNy8wOCAwMDoyMDoyMw0KQEAgLTkxNiw3ICs5
MTYsNyBAQA0KIA0KIAlpZiAocC0+cF9ydHByaW8udHlwZSA9PSBSVFBfUFJJ
T19OT1JNQUwpIHsNCiAJCW5ld3ByaW9yaXR5ID0gUFVTRVIgKyBwLT5wX2Vz
dGNwdSAvIElOVkVSU0VfRVNUQ1BVX1dFSUdIVCArDQotCQkgICAgTklDRV9X
RUlHSFQgKiAocC0+cF9uaWNlIC0gUFJJT19NSU4pOw0KKwkJICAgIChwLT5w
X25pY2UgLSBQUklPX01JTikgKiBOSUNFX1dFSUdIVDsNCiAJCW5ld3ByaW9y
aXR5ID0gbWluKG5ld3ByaW9yaXR5LCBNQVhQUkkpOw0KIAkJcC0+cF91c3Jw
cmkgPSBuZXdwcmlvcml0eTsNCiAJfQ0KSW5kZXg6IHN5cy9zeXMvcHJvYy5o
DQo9PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09
PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09PT09DQpSQ1MgZmlsZTogL3VzcjIvbmN2
cy9zcmMvc3lzL3N5cy9wcm9jLmgsdg0KcmV0cmlldmluZyByZXZpc2lvbiAx
LjEwNg0KZGlmZiAtdSAtcjEuMTA2IHByb2MuaA0KLS0tIHN5cy9zeXMvcHJv
Yy5oCTIwMDAvMDYvMjIgMjI6Mjc6MTYJMS4xMDYNCisrKyBzeXMvc3lzL3By
b2MuaAkyMDAwLzA3LzA4IDAwOjIxOjE0DQpAQCAtNDA1LDEwICs0MDUsMTAg
QEANCiAgKiB0aGUgcmFuZ2UgMTAwLTI1NiBIeiAoYXBwcm94aW1hdGVseSku
DQogICovDQogI2RlZmluZQlJTlZFUlNFX0VTVENQVV9XRUlHSFQJOAkvKiAx
IC8gKHByaW9yaXRpZXMgcGVyIGVzdGNwdSBsZXZlbCkgKi8NCi0jZGVmaW5l
CU5JQ0VfV0VJR0hUCTEJCS8qIHByaW9yaXRpZXMgcGVyIG5pY2UgbGV2ZWwg
Ki8NCisjZGVmaW5lCU5JQ0VfV0VJR0hUCTkgLyA1CQkvKiBwcmlvcml0aWVz
IHBlciBuaWNlIGxldmVsICovDQogI2RlZmluZQlQUFEJCSgxMjggLyBOUVMp
CS8qIHByaW9yaXRpZXMgcGVyIHF1ZXVlICovDQogI2RlZmluZQlFU1RDUFVM
SU0oZSkgXA0KLSAgICBtaW4oKGUpLCBJTlZFUlNFX0VTVENQVV9XRUlHSFQg
KiAoTklDRV9XRUlHSFQgKiBQUklPX1RPVEFMIC0gUFBRKSArIFwNCisgICAg
bWluKChlKSwgSU5WRVJTRV9FU1RDUFVfV0VJR0hUICogKFBSSU9fVE9UQUwg
KiBOSUNFX1dFSUdIVCAtIFBQUSkgKyBcDQogCUlOVkVSU0VfRVNUQ1BVX1dF
SUdIVCAtIDEpDQogDQogZXh0ZXJuCXVfbG9uZyBwc19hcmdfY2FjaGVfbGlt
aXQ7DQo=
--0-1183712459-963137914=:33233--