Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 00:09:48 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slight twist on the "Laptop living on more than one network"

On 17-Jun-00 Mike Smith wrote:
>> I have both wired and wireless LANs at home - and I want to be able to move
>> my
>> laptop between them easily. However, there are now problems at both ends of
>> the
>> system. Some I have solved using bind, dhcp and dynamic DNS but NFS is a
>> real
>> headache - mountd doesn't like IP addresses to change etc.
>
> Make the host you mount _from_ one that's not on either network; if you
> hide the route(s) between the hosts, but leave the endpoints the same,
> you should be in business.

Good suggestion iff number of machines > 2! This is a bit tricky as I
only have one solid machine and the laptop. My other machines are a
486-66 crash-box (building RELENG_4 world as I write) and a -current
crash box. What I may eventually have to do is make one of these two
into a router.

However I seem to have managed to sort NFS out. I've used the network
and mask combo twice in /etc/exports.

> (It's a little harder if the laptop is the NFS server, but not
> impossible.)

It would be nice, but not essential to serve from the laptop.

Duncan

---