Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:32:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, papowell@astart.com
Subject:   Re: was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

> A suggestion I made, that only Patrick picked up on and which requires
> repeating, was to create lpr/lpc/lpd applications that were of similar
> structure to /usr/sbin/sendmail, which performed a table lookup, to
> find the real application to be used.
>
> The advantages would be that both lpr/lpd and LPRng, and by extension
> sendmail and postfix, could be included in base and administrators
> could use whichever application they wanted based upon functionality,
> security, license preference, or any other criteria.  Even if only one
> print application were in the base, it would make making the other the
> default much easier.
>
> Wouldn't this compromise or a form of this compromise satisfy most
> everyone?

Nope.  Your suggestion is an adjunct to making software changeable, and
something like it has already been done for sendmail/postfix, but it
doesn't answer the question at all, merely makes changing things
easier.  The question is, I remind you, whether or not to remove lpd and
replace it with lprng, now HOW to replace it.  We can pretty much figure
out how.

Go take a look at /etc/mail/mailer.conf, or mailer.conf(5).  Your basic
idea is just fine (something about imitation being flattery, like that).

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.