Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 19:22:45 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: microuptime() going backwards

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 11:33:53PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > Yup.  Is this an Epox board?  I think it's a bug in the APM code.  It
> > > even bites if APM is disabled.  Try completely removing APM from the
> > > kernel.
> >
> > I explained this to you at Usenix, actually.  It has nothing to do with
> > APM, it has to do with the selection of clocks available with/without APM
> > compiled into the kernel - there is probably either a bug in the TSC
> > hardware on this CPU, or (more likely) a bug in the timecounter code
> > (since people see this on !APM systems already).
>
> s/TSC hardware/i8254 hardware/
>
> (the TSC is disabled when APM is compiled in, and this forces the use of
> the i8254)

Allow me a silly question: what is the TSC exactly? Probably something in
the CPU per:

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor (700.03-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x621  Stepping = 1

Features=0x183f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PA
T,PSE36,MMX,FXSR>
  AMD Features=0xc0400000<AMIE,DSP,3DNow!>

--
Wilko Bulte  	 	http://www.freebsd.org  "Do, or do not. There is no try"
wilko@freebsd.org	http://www.nlfug.nl	Yoda - The Empire Strikes Back