Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:11:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@mccons.maxbaud.net>
To:        Andrew Ryder <ryder_a@chasma.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Door Lock Security

I wrote a system like this back in about 1991.  It used a VeriZone (I
think that was the name) card reader.  It logged a card when swiped and
could protect certain rooms from certain people, etc.  It was developed
for a Power company, so it was used to protect the storage room where they
kept all of the tools.  It cut done significantly on people taking stuff
home because the office could tell who went in and out.  It also made
people VERY paranoid.  No one would let anyone else in a door that they
had swiped, &etc.  The other nice feature was that the motors we used were
designed to unlock in a power loss situation.  This allowed the power
company employees to get to tools in the event of an emergency (also,
power companies are supposed to shut their power off before a customers if
they have to choose).  I will look around for the tape back up if you are
interested, it was all developed on SCO/Xenix using C and GDBM.

	brian