Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 00:44:40 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRQ's, etc... frustrating laptops :-)

In message <200007171626.LAA20834@aurora.sol.net> Joe Greco writes:
: Ok, so I've got a great little Digital HiNote Ultra 2000, a 166 MHz Pentium
: seat warmer.  It has two builtin PCMCIA slots, plus space for two factory-
: installed PCMCIA devices, an ethernet and a modem...  of which this machine
: only has a WinModem (groan).  It also has a serial port, which I need, an
: IRda port, and a sound system built in.

Nice machine.

: The PCMCIA slots are on pcic1, which wasn't too hard to figure out.  I also
: determined how to put pcic? into polling mode, to save on interrupts.

Yes.  In fact, polling mode is the only way that multiple pcics work
today.  At least that's the only way how I've been able to make them
work.

: So, anyways, this system was already a bit stressed for IRQ's.
:
: 3 is serial, 4 is IRda, 5 is sound card, 7 is lpt, pcic-pci{0,1,2,3} soak
: up 9 and 10, 11 I use for PCMCIA, 12 is psm, I don't know if it is OK to
: use 13, 14 is HDD, and 15 is multimedia dock.

13 is bad.  it won't work.  It is for the math co.

: And now I've this nifty multimedia dock which actually lets me hear the
: audio :-)  but at the same time it introduces additional complexity, as it
: has two additional PCMCIA slots, a USB port, an additional slot for a
: floppy or CDROM, etc..
:
: First, where might I find this *THIRD* PCMCIA controller (presumably pcic2)

no clue.  My doc isn't a multimedia doc.  Is it a pci device?

: Second, what the hell do people do to have all their stuff work and yet work
: around the limited number of irq's?

Hmmm, I've not hit a machine that needs that many.  The right solution
is to teach the pccard system to share interrupts amoung itself, but
that's hard to get right.

Warner