Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:15:51 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bioscall.s

In message <20000719070231.K24476@speedy.gsinet> Gerhard Sittig writes:
: To clear this up a little more ...
:
: On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 19:42 +0200, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
: > On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 18:59 -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
: > >
: > > Richard Stanaford wrote:
: > > >
: > > > make buildkernel KERNEL="NOVA"
: > >
: > > The quotes are evil.  [ ... ]
:     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: >
: > This is somewhat hard to believe.  [ ... ]
:
: Everything else was since I read the message as "with quotes it
: won't compile, without it does".  But I understand this was not
: the problem and we're done discussing this. :)

Quotes work just fine.  The shell strips them off before make sees
them.  Make will see 'KERNEL=NOVA' for any of the following args:
	KERNEL="NOVA"
	KERNEL='NOVA'
	"KERNEL="NOVA
	"KERNEL=NOVA"