Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:07:00 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        David Uhring <duhring@charter.net>, Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.ORG>, Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: realplayer and freebsd?

Jackpot! I have it working on my ThinkPad!

Problems:

Had to MAKEDEV snd1. (I had thought my audio card was on the ISA and
dmesg does show pcm0 audio card, but it also says that the codec is
missing. Another audio device shows up on pcm1, so the MAKEDEV.

Next I brought up the mixer (I use KDE) and turned up the volume
for the PCM device. That resulted in actual sound out of the
speaker. Nothing like the correct sound, but it was progress.

Next I took the suggestion of going into View->Preferences and, in the
'Performance' page, selecting "Enable support for old OSS drivers
(Linux only)". No improvement. Still garbage! I went back to that page
and click 'Settings..." and selected "Disable custom sampling rates".
Jackpot! I had music!

Hope this works for others. I believe most of the things are specific
to ThinkPads, but I suspect that the 'Performance' settings are very
important. (And remembering to turn up the volume on the mixer is
pretty important, too.)

Also, don't forget that each user must run mimeinstall.sh and
pluginstall.sh in /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer7/ if RealPlayer and
Netscape are to get along.

Hope this helps a few folks.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)