Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 19:18:59 -0400
From:      Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Seagate STT8000A tape drive woes (was Re[2]: junk pointer in realloc() ?)

Quoting Ben Smithurst                                Thursday, July 27, 2000
> Ben Williams wrote:

/snippage/

> It means someone did realloc(some_pointer, some_size) in inetd and
> some_pointer wasn't a valid pointer.  That's basically rephrasing the error
> message, so I might not be being too helpful here. :-)

> I'll I can suggest is you upgrade that machine at least to 2.2-STABLE if
> you don't want a more major upgrade than that.  If you don't even want
> to do that, you could check out src/usr.sbin/inetd from RELENG_2_2 and
> just rebuild inetd.  That still might not fix it, I think some more bugs
> like this in inetd have been fixed since RELENG_2_2, and using a more
> recent inetd probably wouldn't work on RELENG_2_2.  (You could try it
> though, at your own risk.  I'd pick the RELENG_3 inetd so you don't get
> IPv6 stuff involved anywhere.)

> The other fix is to use ssh instead of telnet. ;-)

   Thanks for your input Ben Smithurst . I haven't been able to get (any flavour
of) ssh to compile on that machine. (ports for 2x are different that
ports for current?)

   I've been trying to get backups done of that machine for months now
but I'm having issues with the <Seagate STT8000A/5.51> tape drive I
have and being able to actually -use- the tape like a tape. I have so
far been unable to make more than one archive on a tape that has
enough space to store the entire contents of all four of the critical
servers at that location. Every time I try to create an archive on the
tape I get "/dev/rwst0: Input/output error" whether I use the standard
rewind device or if I mknod and use a non-rewind device. (Thanks to
Jim Chapman for how to do this.) This is with tar and/or dd. dump
appears to complete but restore fails with the i/o error mentioned
above.

   I don't want to take any chances on a server I don't (and can't
currently) have backed up. 8-(

   I'm considering upgrading the system with the tape drive to
4-STABLE but I haven't had a chance to read up on what's new/fixed
from the 3-STABLE it is now or to find out if any more work has been
done on the rwst device. Anybody have any ideas I can try?

--Ben Williams
mailto:received@email dot com